Saturday, January 30, 2010

Child trafficing

First let me say that I am not a fan of adoption, less a fan of international adoption and REALLY not a fan of infant adoption.

I know there are people who cannot conceive children who want to raise a family, and I know there are children who do not have loving homes to grow up in. In principal I have no problem with these two groups finding each other and living happily ever after.

What I do have a problem with is the fact the these families who have such a burning desire to parent spend thousands of dollars to get a pretty perfect infant while older kids wait and wait for a family to love them. Parenting is about taking the child in front of you, not shopping for the child you want.

I also have a problem with the idea of adoption as saving a child from an impoverished upbringing. Look at the celebrities who get token children from african nations. Those people aren't in love with those kids, they are just massaging their egos and making themselves feel better about the consumptive lifestyle they live.

Now, lets take a look at Haiti, its chaos there. No one knows who is dead and who is just lost, but we have church groups trying to move infants and young kids across the boarders? How is this not dubious. It is not going a child any favors to go get it out of its native land and take it to a new country to be raised by people who don't speak its language, who don't share its culture, who don't even look like it.

I live in a state where almost two thirds of children available for adoption over the age of seven never are placed with a permanent home. Isaiah has talked about wanting to "get a brother or sister" and I think that either when life is less hectic, or when the boys are grown I would like to give a home to one or two of those children. But I would never adopt an over seas child.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

overseas adoptions, are extremely hokey. I've looked into them awhile back, and most of the organizations that deal in overseas adoptions are an interesting bunch. Some are legit, but you do run across some that aren't.