Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Three apps in and a nigtht at the Y

Okay, so I have got three applications for next year in so far. One is in a nice location, but its for teaching physics and chemistry, I can do those, but they are not my strongest points. Two others are for decent locations and for biology/life science teaching, my best area. They are all at large schools.

I went to a small high school and all my teaching has been at what I would classify as ultra small high schools. Still, the idea that I am not the ONLY science teacher is actually a bit comforting. Sometimes its nice to have an expert to bounce ideas off of.

I'm hoping something comes of it. Last year I think I put out eight applications, and went on five interviews. I must be doing something right in the applications and wrong in the interviews, that is all I can think.

I have figured out a few things. Like I don't need to convince them that I know science, they know I know science already. I DO need to convince them I know teaching, which is classroom managment, laws, politics of working in education and working with all levels of kids.

I think I must have come off as too young and inexperienced last year, and possible was a bit too honest about why I didn't want to keep working where I am still working.

So instead of needing to be paid more, I feel that a free public education is the great equalizer of our country and I want to make that possible for as many students as I can in public schools.

Instead of not wanting to work at a school that I honestly don't want attached to my resume, I want to work and live in the same pleasant community. Blah blah blah.

We'll see if it works.

I got to go to the gym tonight.

I am not a hard body, probably never will be. But something about getting on a treadmill and going until the sweat runs and then some and then doing weight machines just makes a person feel Good, peaceful. well. I think it has something to do with the endorphins. I should go more often.

No comments: