Saturday, April 10, 2010

New Place






























So here's the deal. I made a decision. Part of it was made for me when I did not get offered a job that would have required me to move. The other part is that my lease is up at the end of May. Between the fact that I hate sharing a driveway and a wall with the neighbors and the neighbors themselves, I am ready to not be here anymore.

What's wrong? Well, its university housing for students with families. They are moving lots of international students in, which should be a good thing. I LIKE that my kids can go outside and play with kids from Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, and Taiwan. Recently there have been some issues of the kids (mine included) getting physical with each other, and using language barriers as an excuse for slugging someone. But for the most part, they all get along.

But then I go out on the playground. First of all, none of the Arab women are ever outside. So its the men who are out with their kids (sons, I never see any little girls which is weird too) and as soon as I go out, the crowd at the jungle gym clears and I find that the only ones on the playground are myself and my kids.

It shouldn't bother me, but it does. Of course, it also bothers me that in a midwestern, small town area, so few single parents and young locals are able to take advantage of a housing unit set up with funds from HUD, but its hard to express that without coming off as some sort of racist, which I am not.

So, on to the decision? I rented a house here in Pitt. I am still looking for another job. But all the applications I have in are at places within driving distance from here.

the house is not huge. It does not have a whole lot in the way of "amenities". And it is next door to a business area.

The rent is less than I am paying now. It has new flooring, and central heat and Air installed. It has three bedrooms, an attached car port and a free standing garage. It also has a dog pen already built. And the landlord allows pets.

I took some pictures, but I don't know how well they convey the house. And you have to remember that I am squeaking along below "poverty" level income, so please don't be too harsh.

I am excited though. The one problem. Its practically across the street from my brother's place. But, I am going to set some ground rules and some boundaries with them. Because it is not "Alley's buffet and boarding", its my family's home.

2 comments:

msholiday said...

Well it's clean on the inside but the outside looks like it needs a bit of work. Plant some flower seeds, it'll make all the difference.

Alyce said...

The last people who rented it left just random crapola every where. The landlord is going to clean it up. Its not the prettiest house on the out side. But the roof is in good shape and level. I looked for any sign of water damage (even looked above the dropped ceiling) and couldn't see any.

I'll keep the yard nicer than the last people did and it'll look better. Besides, if it weren't a little rough around the edges, the rent would probably be way higher than it is.