Here's the thing about horoscopes. They are supposed to be based on astrological alignment, right. But the laws of physics (not psychics) dictates how the planets, stars, galaxies, moons, asteroids, and comets will behave. With enough data and computational power the movements of these things can be predicted far into the future. So, if these things are essintially fixed, how can they influence a person's life?
Then there is the nature of fortune telling. Its awfully generic, don't you think? A typical fortune tells about an opportunity to watch out for or cautions the reader to pay attention to relationships. But shouldn't we always have out eyes open for opportunities, isn't that common sense. And don't relationships need constant tending, like gardens? Isn't it prudent to be mindful of what those who are important to us are feeling, going through, wanting - not saying those people always get what they want from us, but as social animals we are aware of those around us.
Thirdly, free will. Every single human being, weather christian, pagan, athiesist, or agnostic aknowledges the free will of human beings. Doesn't giving over our capacity to see things as positive opportunities or negative dangers essentially rob us of free will? If I had ever paid attention to the statistics and predictions made about people like me (call it modern day fortune telling), I never would have attempted the things I have. (The statistic says something like 2% of teen mothers graduate college, there isn't a statistic for graduate or proffesional school, add to that that all my immediate relatives are substance abusers and that my mother was a certifiable nutcase in and out of mental institutions, and on paper I should be a hopeless case).
And finally, what if its all true? What if there are mysterious magical and spiritual forces that human beings on earth can tap into, read, manipulate, use? Isn't it an awfully dangerous thing to play with? I think so. I refuse to play with a ouji board. I don't mess around with tarot cards, and I avoid people who claim to talk to spirits. If such things exsist, they are ancient and wily and not given to letting mere mortal humand beings boss them around without cost.
This concludes the nutty portion of the blog. Back to the regularly schedualed bitching and moaning.
No comments:
Post a Comment