Eletists who act like they are better then everyone.
There is the woman who is in the MAT program with me, not with me, but in a lot of the classes. She's older (for a grad student starting a new career) and has two teenaged daughters. She's one of these mothers who is obseccesed with her kids' sprots careers. She had to miss a game last summer for a class and spent the whole time crying. I know that a parent should encourage their kids, support them, cheer them and want them to do well, but crying over missing one game? When the reason for missing was important? That's just kinda pathetic.
Then tonight, she's asking a bunch of the guys who are in the program, most of whom coach something (its pretty much a fact that if you want to teach social studies you have to coash something) about summer basketball camps. She lives in my hometown, I know that place okay, it has one of the nicest municipal recreation centers I've ever seen. They offer summer legues and camps (as in get better at a sport camp) that are pretty good, lots of kids there in town spend all year playing in rec legues and end up good enough for sports scholarships to ju-cos. Very few kids get full ride sports scholarships to four year schools, that's just a fact.
So, I know where she lives, I know she's not local, I tell her, hey rec center stuff used to be pretty damn good. Okay, I'm not a huge sport person, personally I think the time and money put into sports, especially when they take kids out of the classroom is a little excessive. But she coudl have said something along the lines of not anymore, or we will look into it, or been a little polite.
No, she rolls her eyes a little and gives this guy, who I have to say is a nice guy and didn't share in "the look", a look that was like "she is so trashy/stupid/clueless/pathtic all in one, in that way that only middle aged women who think too highly of themselves can.
So, I hate people who are overly wrapped in their kids sport careers. I want my kid to be sucessful, but I know that takes more then the ability to bounce a ball, and I'm sorry, but the sporty kids aren't any smarter, more responsible, or honest then the non-sporty kids. They are more stressed and tend to put off homework, take less demanding classes, and complain and whine about their over all workloads.
Isaiah is a neat kid, but he has his mother's clumsiness. I am the least coordinated person on the planet. I played softball as a kid, was a pretty good catcher, but lacked the hand-eye coordination to bat decently. I did swim team, and was okay at that, but the team was run out of the country club and as non members, our fees to be on the team were huge. And the coaches wouldn't show me how to dive, I was great in the water, but a terrible diver. And being in front of so many people in a swimsuit, I couldn't do it.
So, if Isaiah isn't terribly interested in spending all his free time in a smelly gym or at a college campus learning the perfect dunk, I'm not disappointed. He is creative and intuitive and intelligent. And my not wanting him to be a jock does not make me a bad mom.
And I am so sick and tired of these upper crust women looking down on me.
No comments:
Post a Comment