Okay, music first, Pink I know pop music in shallow, but I lose her stuff, best thing in the world when I'm feeling gown.
Janis Joplin- she hails from a time when female singers actually could SING. And a must for any music collection.
Sheryl Crow - I love her vocals and her songs.
Books- Like I said before, if supernatural shenanigans are your thing, then anything Anne rice, the vampire chronicles and the lives of the mayfair witches are my favorites, but she also has some stand alone books that are really great. Her main characters are a mix of male and female, but all are empowered and weak at the same time, and as far as I know, no fainting.
Anne McCaffery, she wrote the dragons riders of pern and a few other series that all have great male and female characters as well as magic, science fiction and romance without the "gross bit" (I guess I should have mentioned that Anne Rice can be a bit on the explicit side)
Robert A Heinlein. He wrote a mix of adult and juvenile fiction. His views on sex were a bit weird, but his female characters were all fully in charge of their sexuality and usually kick ass chicks besides.
Movies - Wow, can't think of anything here. How sad is that.
Okay, so not a complete list by far, and a little heavy on the science fiction, I warned you I was a nerd.
The point is this, women can be adventurous and alluring and beautiful without being helpless. I've been in and out of love, I've needed emergency abdominal surgery, I've carried three pregnancies, one of which was medically fragile, I found my own mother's body after she had died. I've been sick to the point that I couldn't stand and I've cried until I was unable to cry any more. I have never, ever fainted. I have never ever been unable to get out of a bas situation under my own locomotion. I've watched people die and watched people born. I've never fainted, and I suspect that very few of my (3?) readers have either.
So, I don't know what you do or what you like, but lets try to encourage the young women around us to look to someone with a backbone.
That's all.
No comments:
Post a Comment