Monday, March 2, 2009

Is this normal

So, the lunch saga continues this week. 

I find the whole thing exhausting so if you don't know what I am talking about look at last weeks posts. 

Anyway, as far as I was concerned, the whole silly, disruptive mess was over. The problem of holding the students accountable for paying for what they ordered was solved quite neatly. 

So, when the boss calls us in to an unschedualed and unannounced until the end of the day meeting, I was not thinking that it was about this. Well, it was lunch. 
It was also my boss having a powow aimed at getting people "on the same page about what happened last week". He also invited us to a school board meeting at which the lunch issue would be discussed, over spring break. There were questions asked about what the kids were saying and what they were thinking about the issue.

So, here's the school with no money, a board and parents that hate the school and want rid of the principal, and a boss who uses language like "defend myself", "they're out to get me", and "back me up" in meetings. And talk of people being invited to ask the staff and observe the school to prove things are okay. 

I here I am, first year teacher, not greatly experienced in office politics and even less so in provate school politics, I don't want drawn into this mess and I don't want to seem unsupportive and stuck on the sidelines.  What's a person to do? 

What am I to do? I really want to not be teachign there next year, but I don't want to burn bridges in case I don't find a position somewhere else. I feel like if I come out strongly for the boss, like he wants us to, I will end up alienating the people who really make the descions at that place, but if I come out as neutral or against the boss, then I will not get any letters of recommendation and I will probably need them. 

I wonder if I can claim a hostile work environment over all this and just ask for letters of rec and gracefully leave? God I hate this whole thing. 

2 comments:

msholiday said...

My motto is, when is doubt, do nothing. Move slow and say little, stay in the middle of the road. As for recommendations be nice to those people, we don't want to bite the hand that feeds us. Try not to get embroiled in all this.

Anonymous said...

I agree with singingfeather.