Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Over confident?

So, was it here I said that I was unnaturally good at standardized tests and wasn't too worried about the praxis tests? I thought it was. 

Anyway, started a new class tonight. I think its going to be a piece of cake, which is a good thing because I have shit load and half to do already. The instructor is the neatest guy, can talk for hours about almost nothing, and then send you home. ITs great! 

So, I try to sit with people I know, but I got there a little late and ended up sitting with some poeple I didn't know. My instinct is to sit in a corner and avoid making eye contact, but that isn't the best way to make friends or to make a good impression on the instructor. One of the students I sat with was an older man, older for a student, I'm guessing he was late forties or early fifties. He had just finished a BA of education and was starting a Master's program while trying to find a job. He had already taken the same prxis tests that I need to take. 

He failed them both the first time he took them. He ran out of time on one and was clueless about the science content in the other. He kept saying it was all alleles. So I have two simultaneous schools of thought. One being that he's an older guy and not good with tests and the biological preparation he got with his undergrad probably wasn't as good as what I got with my premed program. The other school of thought is that I am too coky about my testing ability and need to spend the next month studying. 

I'm leaning towards the first theory. I've looked at the sample questions. I know science and biology and genetics well. And I know how to take standardized tests. I"m not going to blow it off, but I'm not going to get super stressed out about it either. 

In the mean time. I'm so tired that if I sit still for too long, I fall asleep. I think I'm going to go to bed. 

No comments: