I know, how could she, she's on foodstamps. Well, I'm on food stamps. Even a fulltime teaching job hasn't gotten me off of them. Okay, so she has a couple of her kids on SSI. Well, don't disabled people in this country have that right? As a parent, isn't it your job to make sure your kids have access to what they are entitled to? Again, I don't see a huge problem there. Now, she was on food stamps and a 'student' and already had six when she went back for more implantations. Okay, that was nutty, but was it any nuttier then I was a few years ago?
I walked down the isle with a guy who I already knew was not the man I wanted. I married him and got pregnant by him, and then left him. Pregnant, now single mom of two, no job, no home, no address. It was nuts!
I knew it was nuts. But what other choice was there? NOt have Noah, that seems unthinkable at this point. I slept in dad's livingroom for six miserable months. I lived in that frigid, underheated home with step siblings who stole from me, a step mother who refused to speak to me or give me a ride anywhere, and a dad who didn't feed my kid when I worked evenings. It was the not feeding the kid while I worked, and the being pregnant that lead me to quit my job.
But you know what, I survived. Did I use the resources out there? you bet I did. I had foodstamps, cash and housing assistance. I eventully found a job that aid all of $600 a month, and managed to get off the cash. Of course the daycare benefit I now qualified for was more then the cash asisstance I had been on. But for all intents and purposes, it's been steady improvement.
So what if the Octomom sold th rights to her kids' pictures for lots of cash, she has lots of kids, she needs the money! SO what if she's a sinlge mom, she has lots of help in place.
Is it ever a good thing to remove kids from their loving hard working parents, no. Is she doing what she needs to get them all provided for? Yes. Do her children need to hear the nasty things being said and writen about her? No child does.
I say leave the woman alone. She hasn't proven to be a rotten parent. She may be a little nutty, but who isn't.
And while we're at it, lets just try to get the culture in general to be nicer to all single moms. We work hard, we carry a lot of stress and we generally don't have all the help we want to have. We don't need to be second guessing other people's parenting choices, or their financial situations. I only get support from one of my children's fathers. And he pays less then $150 for two children. The other just lives underground so he doesn't have to pay.
I know some sinlge moms were smarter then I was. They didn't end up pregnant at 16 and didn't go on to marry the asshole later. I understand that there are people out there who haven't lived hand to mouth their entire adult lives. What I don't understand is why people will equate financial status with personal worth.
Okay that's enough.
2 comments:
I think you have many different topics all rolled into one here.
As far as OctoMom goes; yes she is mentally unstable. Her ability to reasonably care for all her children is a very valid concern.
The doctor that inseminated her AGAIN when she already had 6 at home was negligent and reckless.
I think her situation is very different from married couples. And I would say people are showing more concern for the welfare of the children than judging her, but she is several sandwiches short of a picnic.
As for the financial aspect - yours and hers are apples and oranges just like your reasons for having children were. What to do about it? Idk. I don't think leaving her alone is going to happen. She's made too much of a spectacle of herself.
I wont argue that the woman has bats in her belfry, but I hate the fact that if she were married and the mother of fourteen, we'd be celebrating still.
I feel like if we single moms start pointing at others who've made choices we wouldn't have that we give the anne coulters of the world more ammunition. Because to people like her, I am as worthless and unredeemable as Octomom is.
I feel like these huge multiple pregnancies are unsafe and irresponsible, no matter how well off or not the parents are. We as a society cannot celebrate the duggars and jon and kate and then turn around and say, but not you, you we despise. Now, as to mental illness, I repeat, lets leave her alone and let those kids try to grow up as normally as possible.
Post a Comment