What do you do when a person you trust and admire batrays that trust. Uses what they know against you and endangers your family? It sounds paranoid, but that is the case.
I thought I had a family here, not flesh and bone, but I guess I don't. I guess I should back up. I tried to go get my driver's license today. I have all the paperwork cleared with the state, its just a matter of getting to a testign station, taking the tests, and voila, I'm legal.
To get there, I drove my self to indy, met up with my brother tom, and then we all went to the DMV. Weeall, the car has a tiny crack in the windshield, it isn't a big deal, but they won't let me test with that car. TOm didn't know anyone who had a decent car to barrow. I called my good friend. Who at the moment was sitting with Isaiah, waiting to take him to get a haircut. (which irritated me to begin with because she was talking about having them give him a crew cut, I hate super short cuts on non-military people, looks moronic. I felt like it was over stepping to insist on the when and where of the haircut, not to mention the cut itself).
Well, nope, she didn't feel like me getting licensed was worth changing her plans for. AndI got a little short with her. Because she makes it so odvious how much she is put out by helping me get around and makes me feel guilty for asking to stop by the grocery store for a gallon of milk.
I get home with the other two, very dissappointed. I no sooner get them in the house when teh lady from social services shows up. Someone had called a complaint in. They accused me of driving the kids around without a license (true, bad sue the fuck out of me, I had shit to take care of). They reported that the bathroom was scary (dirty laundry, BFD), that Isaiah is allowed to watch CSI and the X-Files and that the other night at nine he made and ate raman noodles. The person also reported that the kids went out without their coats zipped up. (It was a fairly warm morning and we were in a hurry).
There is only one person who knew those things about me. I don't think anything there is worth calling social services. But there the DCCA lady was telling me that I was in for it now, and of course she can't tell me WHO called, but I know who called.
So here we are, I am betrayed by a person who is mentally unstable, who wants children and thinks she is a qualified expert on them. Who is regestered with the local foster agencies and has been talking about being willing to just take a kid to raise for months. Calling social services on me.
Either I am a much worse mother then I thought, or I have been trusting the wrong people. People who talk about god's love and redemption and leading upstanding lives, and they have been whispering and rustling behind my back.
Maybe I am delusional and paranoid ans shouldn't have my kids. I have always wanted my sons to have a different sort of childhood then I had. Where I had secrets and chaos and dark strangling panic, I wanted them to feel like there were no dark secrets, like they could count on what would happen day after day, like there are no monsters in the world who consume innocence.
But tonight I ressurrected one of my mother's favorite rules. "Don't tell no one nothing about what happens here." Its terrible, but I feel trapped and scrutinized and hemmed in and frankly, persucuted.
I keep trying to talk myself into believing that it wasn't her, that some other person did this terrible thing to me. It is a terrible thing. It is threatening my children's safty and stability. Foster care is not a good place to be. Kids are treated like commodities, warehoused for cash. They are as likely to be physically abused and neglected and end up in jail-like group homes as they are to be nurtured and cared for, and no one cares for foster kids like they do their own.
I just want to be able to drive, to not be so dependant on such judgmental and hypocritical people. SO that I can be their mom. SO that I can be the one to take him to get a haircut. SO that I can be them one who decides when we go shopping.
I guess that was too much to ask. I guess this person secretly likes keeping me dependant and reliant, they have a captive audience and the control over my movements. I don't want to live like that. And I won't.
4 comments:
They will NOT take your children over these things that you mentioned. Don't be driving the car without your licence, that will get you into a whole lot of trouble. As for your Christian friend??? I would cut ties with them ASAP.
What I am surprised about is that Children's Aid is entertaining this.
Get a hairclipper and do your own kids hair. Our family grew up in the bush and we cut our own hair all the time. Boys hair is very easy to cut, takes about 5 minutes.
Being a single mom is tough, and working on top of it. You are a good Mom and don't ever think otherwise. As for the new rule....every family has that rule. What goes on in the house stays in the house.
Please try and cut ties with this person, she seems to be one sick puppy and wants to see you unhappy. Even if you have to take a taxi or bus for groceries or have them delivered. Is there anything the Sisters can do to help you? Let Kim know and she will rally us.
Awww, I like the puppy.
I know I shouldn't have done it, but I didn't think that someone who called themselves my friend would be so quick to tattle.
At this point, I know I need to cut soem ties, but the idea of doing so hurts. These people have becoem rather engrained into my life. I go to church with them, one watches noah three days a week. But if they are willing to put me and the boys in jeapordy, I guess I need to.
It is hard. But you need positive people in your life - caring people whom you can trust. Removing people who are not like that from your life is not only good for you - it sends the right message to your kids about how to choose friends. It makes you a prouder, more righteous (in a good way), more calm and controlled person. All that gets through to your kids.
I know your instincts are great. It's been obvious over the months of difficulties I've watched you go through. You have to trust those instincts. Only have the right people in your life. Those people exist.
And I agree with singingfeather. That is the rule in all families. It doesn't have to be dark and wrong. It's simply family privacy.
Of course it was her. Studpid and mean thing to do.
I have to agree with Linda and just second what she says! If it's too hard to totally cut ties you can do it slowly. Find someone else to take care of Noah on those days if you can. If not just be careful what info you share with her.
Yay to you being able to drive now that's cool.
It's totally not cool to arrange to go for haircuts without your permission, that's insane.
Post a Comment